Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bugs on garlic chives

On this warm sunny afternoon Swallowtail butterflies were hovering over a patch of garlic chives in the neglected herb bed. As I had a small camera with macro feature in my pocket I went over to take photos. The large butterflies immediately left but I looked around for other subjects. The photographs here are of the different insects I found enjoying the flower nectar. The variety of color and species was surprising.

I tried to ID the butterflies. I have no idea what species the various other insects are. If anyone knows please post a comment.








A piece of a Common Buckeye butterfly. The larger butterflies, like swallowtails, moved whenever I tried to take a picture.




Red-banded hairstreak butterfly




Great purple hairstreak butterfly. Insect constantly moved (rubbing motion) wings and revealed blue on one side and red on the other. At first I thought two butterflies were somehow co-joined.








Silver spotted skipper butterfly

Ammophila?


a scolid?

No comments: