Saturday, March 7, 2009

Junco Mystery

An abundance or lack of birds at one location in one season does not make a trend. Noting the change is worthwhile as there is no way to know if the observed change is part of a trend. This winter some observers have commented on few or no Dark-eyed Juncos in back yards and at feeders; while others have reported usual numbers.

My experience is in the ‘lack’ department. I’ve not seen a Junco since January 3 and I saw very few up to that date. Numbers of White-throated Sparrows appear down too.

I’ve just checked my general bird sighting records and my reports to Project FeederWatch. There is a significant change in the number and frequency of sightings of Juncos this winter season compared to previous years. As there is no change in the habitat and surroundings I have no explanation. In a couple of years time I’ll know if this season was just a fluke.

In nine previous years (1998-2008) in which I recorded observations the last Junco sighting recorded was March 2 - April 3. In years when I recorded yard sightings frequently I observed Juncos every time.

In previous FeederWatch seasons I observed Juncos every time I counted. This season I’ve seen Juncos on 2 of 8 count periods and two birds was the highest number seen.

No comments: