Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ticks and sparrows

Banding conditions yesterday were ideal. I kept some nets up all day as it was so warm and only a light breeze in the early afternoon. There was lots of bird activity along the edges of the lake and the usual mix of birds coming to the feeders. All this activity did not translate into a lot of birds in the nets. Total for the day was 9 new and 4 recaptures.

YEARLY BANDING TOTAL (2012)
species: 7
individuals: 10

YEARLY RECAPTURE TOTAL (2012)
species: 4
individuals: 7

I've read reports from other banders about ticks on birds but I've not handled a bird with a tick before. That changed with this banding session. Two birds carried an engorged tick on their head. I do hope this does not mean the mild weather is ensuring a bumper crop of ticks for next summer! Below: Carolina Wren with tick. The other tick was on a Song Sparrow.



I banded three species of sparrows: white-throated, song and swamp.








No comments: